Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Peacehaven & Telscombe FC


Marshall’s magic seals the points

9 months ago By Pitchside View

A LATE goal by substitute Josh Marshall (pictured) ensured maximum points for Peacehaven & Telscombe on Saturday.

On paper, Peacehaven arrived at Worthing United as favourites, but this league has shown this season that every team is capable of taking points off each other and no game can be considered a forgone conclusion.

Peacehaven began brightly with Marcus Richmond going close twice in the first ten minutes. On the wing Mikey Lloyd was beginning to cause problems for the home defence and Conor Sidwell headed just over.

You sensed that it was only time before Haven scored and then the floodgates would open. But The Mavericks did begin to threaten and Felipe Lira was on hand to head clear.

On 22 minutes Richmond thought he’d scored after brilliant build-up play but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Shortly after making a defensive clearance, Fraser Massen then tried an effort from 30 yards which was just wide of the upright.

And then on 31 minutes came the breakthrough. Peacehaven were awarded a free-kick about 20 yards out and in the centre of the goal. Conor Wilkins stepped up to take the kick. The Haven fans held their breadth and Wilkins fired in a rocket of a shot which Kiernan Sills in the home goal somehow got to. Another Haven player slammed in the rebound which Sills again saved and Richmond was then on hand to tap home the opening goal.

This goal should have signalled an all-out onslaught from the visitors but there was signs of sloppy and careless play coming into Haven’s game.

It was from a misplaced pass from the usually reliable Cam Wiltshire when 40 yards out from the Haven goal that Worthing scored. Wiltshire played a square pass inside which went straight to United’s Lindon Miller. He bore down on the goal with Cowd and Sidwell in hot pursuit and just managed to squeeze the ball under Aga in the visitor's goal for United’s equaliser.

Now Peacehaven realised they had a game on their hands.

This goal galvanised Peacehaven and just four minutes later, Haven were back in front after Wilkins played in Lloyd whose shot went through the keeper’s legs. Approaching half time Wiltshire tried a long range shot which went just over the bar.

Half time: Worthing United 1, Peacehaven & Telscombe 2.

The second half never really got going for Peacehaven apart from a mazy run from the impressive Lloyd which ended up with his shot going into the side netting and then a long range effort from Wilkins. Peacehaven had taken their foot off the gas. Basic errors and mistakes were being made and the team was misfiring and spluttering.

On the hour Curt Ford came on for Elliot Levy and he looked hungry and up for the challenge.

In a four minute spell Ford was involved in three chances and was looking the most likely to put the game to bed.

With just ten minutes to go, Josh Marshall came on for Richmond. Marshall, just returning from injury has yet to re-capture his form from the back end of last season. He had only been on the pitch about a minute when a Worthing player clattered him on the ankle and he looked injured. But he got up limped for a bit as he ran off the injury and then began to move freely once more.

With three minutes left to play, good work from Wilkins put Marshall through and a classic strike from him from ten yards out saw the ball fly home to make it 3-1 and the game safe.

This was by no means a vintage performance from Peacehaven and although Worthing showed spirit and fight, on another day Peacehaven would have been made to pay for some of their sloppy play and basic errors.

The win moves Peacehaven & Telscombe up to second place in the league where they share the same number of points with title favourites Haywards Heath, but have a slightly inferior goal difference.

Peacehaven & Telscombe: Aga, Cowd, Wiltshire (Cam), Massen, Allen, Sidwell, Lloyd, Wilkins Levy, Richmond, Lira. Subs: Marshall, Wiltshire (Cal), Avens, Legrange, Ford.

Peacehaven’s next game is on Tuesday evening when they are at home to Hassocks in the SCPL. Kick-off 7.45pm.

Updated 17:00 - 9 Oct 2017 by Pitchside View

Where next?

Tuesday night football tonight! PEACEHAVEN & TELSCOMBE face Hassocks at the Unibet Arena this evening in an SCPL game.
Haven away on Saturday PEACEHAVEN & TELSCOMBE make the trip to Worthing United on Saturday for an SCPL game.


Loading comments

5 sports clubs amongst winners in the Jewson Building Better Communities competition.

Sat 11 Aug
1st Team Spelthorne FC
Cup 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors