Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Peacehaven & Telscombe FC app


Ten man Haven out of Vase

By Pitchside View

PEACEHAVEN & TELSCOMBE went out of the FA Vase on Saturday to Pagham.

After positive and dynamic performances in their previous two games, the Peacehaven side who performed in the first half were a pale shadow of their former selves.

They were lethargic and playing without any confidence or conviction and within ten minutes were two goals down through George Gaskin and Callum Overton.

The omens were not good. Pagham were dominating the game and threatened to run away with it but somehow, Peacehaven got through to the 45th minute just two goals behind, when in the one minute added on at the end of the first period, Callum Hart (pictured) was put through and slotted the ball under the on-rushing Pagham ‘keeper to put Peacehaven back in touch.

To say this goal was deserved would be an overstatement as this was the first meaningful chance Peacehaven had created in the first period.

Half time: Pagham 2, Peacehaven & Telcombe 1.

The second half was an all-together different affair, with Peacehaven playing like they believed in themselves and threatening the Pagham goal.

All the players had upped their game and were taking the game to Pagham and they were rocking. On 48 minutes Curt Ford was put through and was taken out with the goal at his mercy. Nothing was given and soon after Ford had to leave the field of play to be replaced by Mikey Lloyd.

Two minutes later Cam Wiltshire took a free kick on the edge of the Pagham box, Hart was bundled over, but again nothing was given.

There was now a completely different feel to the tie, with Haven creating chances and believing in themselves.

But on 58 minutes, the hill they were climbing became a mountain when Felipe Lira was shown a straight red card. During a break in play a Pagham player threw the ball at Lira, he reacted by hitting out at the Pagham player and received his marching orders.

Manager Mark Shutt had to shuffle his pack and brought on Fraser Massen to play at the back and took off forward Tyler Scrafton.

Even with one player down, Peacehaven still created chances and were still in the game. But on 73 minutes Scott Murfin tried a long looping shot which Secka just got a hand to, but couldn’t prevent the ball from crossing the line.

The game was wrapped up in the 81st minute when Overton got his second to make it 4-1 with the Haven players claiming handball.

Peacehaven travel to Pagham again next week for a league game and if they play like they did in the second half they will surely have a chance against a strong side with promotion on their mind.

Peacehaven & Telscombe: Secka, Kilula, Bant, Grant, Lira, Wiltshire (Cam), Legrange, Brocklebank, Ford, Scrafton, Hart. Subs: Massen, Burton, Cheeseman, McDonnell, Lloyd.

Updated 21:31 - 3 Nov 2018 by Pitchside View

Where next?

Take two minutes and help your football club raise £5,000 THAT’S ALL IT takes to cast your vote for Peacehaven & Telscombe FC in the Aviva Community Fund offer.
Pictures from Saturday's game YOU CAN now see Steve Mills' pictures from Saturday's game against Lancing


Loading comments

Sat 30 Mar
League 14:00
Peacehaven & Telscombe 3 AFC Uckfield Town
League 14:00
League 15:00
Mon 1 Apr
Peacehaven under 23s Eastbourne Town
League 19:45
Tue 2 Apr
1st Team Eastbourne Utd
League 19:45
Sat 6 Apr
1st Team East Preston
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors